Pages

Friday 31 October 2008

Filter Kaappi!



To help my coffee addiction be unconstrained by the tightening economy, I purchased a manual drip filtration coffee brewer today. It has been a while since I stopped drinking instant coffee because I began hating the very taste. To be honest, I miss my favorite South Indian filter coffee every morning, and I'm trying my best to make up for it. I know that the filter is just one component - next will be to figure out the right kind of coffee (chicory-blended, if I can get hold of it!), the right kind of milk, and the right mixes to give me the taste I long for. That's why I would prefer to call it kaappi than just coffee - it is something different!

I got my filter from the nearby grocer. In case you want to order online (in USA), you may do so here.

To use the filter, take off the lid and unscrew the inner screen. Place the filter on top of a cup, or better, on top of a metal glass collector. Add 3-4 teaspoons of coffee and moderately tighten the screen. Fill a quarter of the filter with boiling water and wait for less than half a minute for the water to start dripping. Unscrew the screen a bit, and refill filter with boiling water. Place the lid tightly so that the fragrance of the coffee does not escape.

Once the collecting glass has enough coffee, pour it into boiled milk, and add sugar to taste, to enjoy a refreshing cup of coffee. I will update this post once I get the right coffee-chicory blend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One more post abt Filter Kaappi by one of my friend.
http://nitkal.blogspot.com/2007/03/filter-kaapi.html

-Swaminathan

What I have blogged about....

India (5) poem (5) english (4) google (4) poetry (4) instant poetry (3) malayalam (3) malayalam song lyrics (3) translation (3) AR Rahman (2) Guru (2) Indianapolis (2) Kerala (2) Mani Ratnam (2) Monsanto (2) cinema paradiso (2) hindi music (2) mashup (2) movie (2) non-food (2) piece of mind (2) social (2) travel (2) vayalar (2) web 2.0 (2) yesudas (2) 2003 (1) 2006 (1) 2008 (1) Abhishek (1) Ada (1) Aishwarya (1) Alchemist (1) All India Radio (1) Ambani (1) America (1) Amitabh (1) Aye Hairathe (1) Baazi Laga (1) Bappi Lahiri (1) Boomerang Generation (1) Chenkol (1) Chinmayee (1) EagleCreek (1) Ek lo ek muft (1) Elections (1) Fox News (1) GM (1) Goethe (1) Gravel (1) Gulzar (1) India Call (1) Internet Generation (1) Iruvar (1) Jaage hain (1) Jane Tu ya Jane Na (1) JoHari (1) Jodha Akbar (1) Kipling (1) Lohithadas (1) MIlk (1) MTV (1) Madhavan (1) Maryam Tollar (1) Mayya (1) Mithun (1) Mohanlal (1) National Initiative (1) New York Times (1) Outsourced (1) Phone (1) Reliance (1) Searchwiki (1) Shreya Ghoshal (1) Sir Tim Berners-Lee (1) Smart Dial (1) South India (1) Stanacard (1) Telephone (1) Tere Bina (1) The Hindu (1) The Simpsons (1) USA (1) Vandana Shiva (1) Vidya (1) aayiram padasarangal (1) agriculture (1) baje sargam (1) bookmark (1) brain (1) brand (1) business (1) capitalist (1) chatbot (1) coffee (1) college (1) contagion (1) de-personalize (1) devarajan (1) diary (1) dil doondtha hai (1) distributed processing (1) doordarshan (1) economy (1) epics (1) failure (1) filter (1) finer balance (1) friends (1) geoGreetings (1) gtalk (1) hindi (1) honeystream (1) howdy (1) independence (1) indian television (1) instructions (1) introspection (1) life (1) malayali (1) may sarton (1) memory (1) mile sur mera tumhara (1) multitask (1) ohne hast ohne rast (1) orwell (1) partychat (1) personal (1) pipes (1) poonthenaruvi (1) productivity (1) programmable web (1) rBST (1) recipe (1) salil chowdhury (1) search (1) song (1) strategy (1) sun sun sun meri munni sun (1) three worlds (1) tostada (1) water woes (1) wellbeing (1) what we are (1) wordplay (1) work (1) yahoo (1) yawn (1)

Pause to leave a comment!

I would appreciate if you would take your time and leave a comment for me to gnaw at while you might be away - and take pride that someone, somewhere is actually reading my blog. You can do so by clicking on the comments link below each post. Thank You!